Wednesday, August, 5, 2009

Administrative Conference Room


PRESENT: Margie Huerta, Margaret Lovelace, Ike Ledesma, Fred Lillibridge, John Paulman, Ken Tellez, Bernie Piña, Lydia Bagwell, Teresa Brandon, Jerry Welch, Carmen Aguilera-Goerner, Bill Glenn, Meg Haines, Fred Owensby, Susana Rodriguez, Mozella Garcia, Kristian Chervenock, Luly Valencia-Glenn, Lori Allen, Kelly Brooks, Kathy Reddington, Ben Altamirano, Gladys Chairez, Brad Mazdra, Becky Orduñez, Larry Sharp, and Irene Montoya (recorder)

ABSENT: Andy Burk, John Walker, David Pearse, Sylvia Nickerson, Tammy Welch, Susan Roberts, Meg Haines, Doris Gleason, Joaquin Tadeo

GUESTS:  Oscar Quintela for Tammy Welch, Julie Lamotte, Patrick Natoni (end of meeting)


Agenda Item



Meeting Start Time

10:12 a.m.


Dr. Huerta noted a good morning to everyone.  She noted she loved coming to these meetings – lots of energy.  It’s an exciting time and the college continues to grow.  Dr. Huerta predicts over 9,000 students.

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta recognized two people – Dr. Margaret Lovelace who started with the college on July 8.  Welcome.  Ms. Brooks introduced Ms. Julie Lamotte who is the new accountant in the Business Office.  Ms. Lamotte started a month ago and she will be improving our reporting.  She will also be providing training.  Ms. Brooks said there will be a higher level of effort in assisting the division deans and others.  Ms. Lamotte noted she was a sub-contractor with non-profits.  Dr. Huerta also noted Dr. Piña has accepted the position of division dean for General Studies.  Dr. Piña noted he had been with college for almost 20 years. 

Informational Item

1 – Distribution of the Minutes of July 1, 2009  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted since the minutes were just distributed, please let Irene know any edits by the end of next week.

Please give Irene edits by the end of next week.

2 – Higher Learning Commission Monitoring & Progress Reports  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted both her and Dr. Chieffo went before the HLC review panel to defend the final report of the site visit.  The panel gave the college its approval with two monitoring reports.  One was for lack of communication between NMSU Regents and DACC Advisory Board.  Dr. Huerta noted that the three presidents of the three school boards sit on our Advisory Board:  Dr. Connie Phillips from LCPS, Ms. Jennifer Viramontes from Gadsden, and Mr. David Franzoy from Hatch.  Our Board is a seasoned mature group.  The college has been requesting meetings with the Regents even before the site visit.  The HLC Team felt, as she does, that more communication needed to happen between the two boards.  Dr. Huerta noted last week the two boards met here at DACC.  Two superintendents (Mr. Stan Rounds and Mr. Bill Coker) also attended.  There was a good attendance and it was a very good meeting.  There is a commitment from the Regents to have more dialogue with us.  Dr. Huerta will assume the responsibility of writing the report.  The second report is on instructional support.  It was initially a monitoring report and now it’s a progress report.  Thank you to both Dr. Chieffo and Dr. Lillibridge who wrote challenging the status.  A faculty committee will be formed to work on the progress report.  Both reports are due June 1010.  Dr. Huerta will also form a leadership committee.  The committee will look at and identify issues.  A few from this group may be asked to serve.  Dr. Huerta noted there was a lot of work to be done and that these reports are critical.  She also noted that NMSU did not get the same report requirement that DACC did on communication between boards.   Dr. Lillibridge added that for instructional support, one of the problems was what the team wrote was so vague, we could not figure out what they want us to do.  A small discussion followed.  Dr. Huerta asked Dr. Lillibridge what the reports need to look like.  Dr. Lillibridge answered that all we have to do is answer their questions.  There is no template.  Dr. Huerta noted she does not know what happens after reports are submitted but will report back.

Informational Item

3 – Proposed Certificates & Associate Degrees  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta provided handout to the group of the proposed certificates and associate degrees.  She noted one of her visions and goals is to increase the number of certificates at DACC.  She wants to reward students.  She wants the college to be more responsive to our community.  Next meeting she would like a list of all those that have been approved.  Ms. Chairez asked that the number of credits required to complete be added.  Ms. Orduñez noted that if it is not in the catalog, it cannot be certified for veterans.  Dr. Huerta asked Mr. Paulman to work on this.  Dr. Lillibridge noted they would also need to be communicated to HLC and HED.  He added that HED is checking all dual credit courses very carefully.  Dr. Huerta noted an official amendment should be done.  Mr. Ledesma added that it is not officially in banner until all approvals are done.  Dr. Piña noted Strategic Priority #1 is increase graduation rates and General Studies has created a certificate in five areas that is completed with 35 credits.  Students take general education courses and move on.  This is perfect for those students.  Mr. Mazdra recommended that, even in developing, those programs are sent to Ms. Sylvia Calderon.  She can start working on the degree plans.  Dr. Huerta suggested they be sent to Dr. Lovelace and copies sent to Mr. Mazdra and Dr. Lillibridge.  Please have approved ones to Dr. Lovelace by Friday.  Dr. Lillibridge asked what the trigger for approval was.  Ms. Bagwell answered an email from Denise Esquivel from NMSU.  Ms. Orduñez asked about physical therapy.  Ms. Brandon answered that after the college hires a program director it will start about one year after.  Dr. Huerta noted the program director would develop the program and get it accredited before the first students start.

Please send approved programs (credits, courses needed to complete) to Dr. Lovelace by Friday.

4 – Cancel Class Session  – Drs. Huerta & Lovelace

Dr. Huerta noted that the Friday before classes start, Dr. Lovelace is meeting with division deans to cancel low enrollment classes.  This meeting is August 14.  Dr. Lillibridge provides a report on class enrollment.  Dr. Lillibridge added that he will start doing reports daily.  Dr. Huerta reminded everyone that if you will be adding a section, please do so formally.  Mr. Ledesma asked that Mr. Mazdra be given the information on what classes will be canceled.  Dr. Huerta suggested the list be given to Mr. Mazdra after the meeting.  Mr. Ledesma asked if he could be included in the meeting.  Dr. Lovelace answered yes.  Mr. Piña noted General Studies is at critical mass in seat count.

Informational Item

5 – Fall Enrollment & High Demand Programs  – Mr. Ledesma

Mr. Ledesma noted in this morning’s dashboard headcount is up 9.2% at 7,793 students and FTE is up 10.7%.  He noted class cancellations will have an input on this.  Mr. Mazdra added that there is a need for more basic skills courses.  Dr. Lillibridge noted health was lagging behind.  Ms. Brandon noted that dental hygiene was not on board yet.  Dr. Huerta asked that both Ms. Roberts and Dr. Aguilera-Goerner be part of the cancellation meeting.  Mr. Ledesma noted the following programs were in high demand:  early childhood (up 125%), library tech (up 117%), health care assistant (up 83.3%), EMS (up 80%), electronics tech (up 76%), electrical apprenticeship (up 64.5%), welding tech (up 47%), criminal justice/law enforcement (up 36%), hospitality (up 37%) and legal assistant (up 31.9%).  Mr. Welch noted some of these may be high growth not high demand.  Dr. Huerta asked if maybe Ms. Worley can do a report for fall 2009.  Dr. Huerta noted a woman was suing the college she attended because she cannot find a job.  She thanked everyone for the good job.

Informational Item

6 – Mesilla Valley Mall Recruitment  – Mr. Ledesma

Mr. Ledesma noted the annual recruitment at the mall will be this weekend, which is the tax free weekend.  DACC will be there on Friday and Saturday from 1:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.  Ms. Orduñez added a good group was going.  Mr. Ledesma noted there will be a radio remote.  Mr. Welch asked if programs could go out there.  Mr. Ledesma answered yes.  They will be set up by the food court in front of Hallmark.  Dr. Huerta asked all to stop and say hi.

Informational Item

7 – Freshman Convocation – Ms. Gleason

Mr. Ledesma noted the Freshman Convocation will be targeting first time full-time freshman.  Student Services will be there.  There will be breakouts sessions including Mr. Quintela (distance education) and Ms. Chairez (academic progress, financial aid).  Mr. Ledesma added the morning will be the breakout sessions while the afternoon will be academic program by division.  There will be hotdogs, cokes, and giveaways including IPods.  Mr. Ledesma asked the group what high school had the most students invited to the convocation.  He answered the highest number came from GED – close to 80 students.  Dr. Huerta asked if he knew if they were from our program.  Mr. Ledesma answered no.  He added there were 443 total students invited.  Dr. Huerta thanked Mr. Ledesma and his staff.

Informational Item

8 – East Mesa Ribbon Cutting  – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta noted the ribbon cutting for East Mesa phase 3 and 4 will be held on Thursday, August 27 at 10:00 a.m.  Mr. Tellez added that a formal invitation to community VIPs was sent last week.  Today an invitation to staff is being sent out.  Andele’s will cater.  Please RSVP to Ms. Kristi Martin.  Dr. Huerta noted having a kitchen is very exciting.  An RFP has gone out to our community.  She would like to see a local business run the kitchen and not a national chain.  A small discussion followed.

RSVP to Kristi Martin if attending the ribbon cutting on August 27.

9 – Request for Master Calendar Events – Dr. Huerta

Dr. Huerta asked that events, etc., for the master calendar is sent to Ms. Vicki Haggard by close of day on August 10.

Send events, etc. for master calendar to Vicki Haggard by August 10.

10 – Announcements

Ms. Reddington noted facilities staff would be limited.  She asked that division deans look at space utilization for class size.  Fire code needs to be met.  Ms. Reddington also noted the buses from East Mesa to Mesilla Valley Mall will start running on August 20.  Dr. Huerta noted Mr. Burke worked with the city’s Transit Committee on this.  Mr. Mazdra noted this information needed to get out to students.  Ms. Garcia asked if there would be a grace period for parking beginning in the fall.  Mr. Ledesma answered no.

Informational Item

Dr. Garcia announced that all subjects tutored would be limited to appointment only.   Dr. Garcia noted with the new opening of the SSC at EMC, increase needs at GEC, and maintaining the LCC; and the limited new fiscal year SSC budget increase of 15%, all these factors required tutorial services to be by appointment only.   Dr. Huerta noted we would need to let students know.  She would also like to see how this goes.  We do not want students penalized.  Dr. Garcia noted it would not be the students who have difficulty adjusting to making appointments; rather it would be the faculty.

Informational Item

Mr. Altamirano asked that if anyone was interested in displaying a message on the TVs in the Commons Area please let him know.  It should not be wordy.

Informational Item

Ms. Allen noted there would be phone and software training provided when faculty return.  She will send out an email.

Informational Item

Mr. Quintela noted blackboard training for students will start August 10 at all campuses.  Mr. Piña noted he had attended the training and they did an excellent job.  Mr. Quintela met with NMSU and learned they are not providing training for their students.  Ms. Bagwell noted Ms. Welch had announced yesterday that Fast Track was on-line.  Mr. Quintela added they would work one-on-one with faculty and it will be rolled out for students next semester. 

Informational Item

Dr. Huerta noted the Business Symposium went really well.  Mr. Owensby thanked everyone for attending.  Next year it will be held in June or July and will be for ¾ or 2/3 of the day.

Informational Item

Dr. Aguilera-Goerner noted one of students attending down South came to this campus and was told to go back.  Dr. Huerta noted this should not happen.  Students should be able to go to any campus and get what they need.

Informational Item

Mr. Ledesma introduced Mr. Patrick Natoni who began two weeks ago.  He is the new admissions advisor and he comes to us from NMSU.  Mr. Natoni noted he received his bachelor’s degree in marketing and international business.  He worked at NMSU in Admissions, the American Indian Program, and also Financial Aid.  He is currently in the EMD program.  Mr. Natoni noted he was enjoying himself and was excited to be here.  Mr. Ledesma noted Mr. Natoni’s primary role is to help with testing.  Dr. Huerta welcomed Mr. Natoni.

Informational Item

Next Meeting

Friday, September 4, 2009, 10:00 a.m., ACR


Meeting End Time

11:30 a.m.