NM Lottery Scholarship Eligibility Changes
Beginning the fall 2014 semester, incoming NM students who meet other eligibility requirements will need to successfully complete 12 credit hours with a first term GPA of 2.5 or higher to earn the NM Lottery Scholarship.
To maintain eligibility, students will need to complete 12 graded "new" credit hours each semester while maintaining a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher. Student can earn the NM Lottery Scholarship for up to three semesters at a 2-year institution.
**Students who have received the scholarship for at least three semesters (including spring 2014) are considered legacy students; thus must complete 12 credit hours each semester with a cumulative GPA of 2.5 or higher for a total of four semesters at a 2-year institution.
Qualifying for the New Mexico Legislative Lottery Scholarship:
- Be a New Mexico resident.
- Enroll in college the semester immediately following (1) graduation from a New Mexico high school, (2) earn a New Mexico certificate of completion, or (3) receive a New Mexico high school equivalency credential. Home-school students must have a high school equivalency credential dated prior to the entering semester.
- Be degree seeking.
- Pass 12 new graded credit hours at a community college (15 at a 4-year institution) by the end of the first semester.
- Earn a 2.5 GPA or greater for the first semester.
- Complete 12 new graded credit hours (15 at a 4-year institution) each semester.
- Maintain a GPA of 2.5 or greater, thereafter the first qualifying semester.
This scholarship is valid for seven (7) semesters (three (3) semesters at a 2-year institution and transferrable to a 4-year university), or until a bachelor degree is earned, whichever comes first.
The Scholarship Amount For All Students Is The Same. The amount of the NM Legislative Lottery Scholarship is set annually, June 1st, by the New Mexico Higher Education Department (NMHED) and will only be applied to tuition. The student is therefore resonponsible for any additional unpaid tuition and fees.
NM Legislative Lottery Scholarship LEGACY STUDENTS. If a student has received at least three (3) semesters of the NM Legislative Lottery Scholarship by spring 2014, the student is considered a LEGACY student. Thus, a student is required to complete successfully 12 "new" credit hours each semester and maintain a GPA of 2.5 or better. LEGACY students are eligible to receive the NM Legislative Lottery Scholarship for eight (8) semesters.
The rules and regulations for the NM Legislative Lottery Scholarship for all students, LEGACY or otherwise, are determined by are are subject to change by the New Mexico Higher Education Department and the New Mexico Legislature.