Welcome to Grant & Contract Accounting
The Office of Grant & Contract Accounting is here to help you with your grant & contract, affiliation agreement and foundation needs. Our office is your liaison to the NMSU Office of Grants & Contracts (OGC) and Sponsored Projects Accounting (SPA).
Grant & Contract policy and procedures
There is a protocol for submitting grant and contract proposals; this also applies if DACC is the sub-recipient. If you are pursuing funding on behalf of DACC, we have a designated approval, submittal and central review process. In general, the grant application process includes the following steps:
1. Locate a potential grant funding source. A good way to get started in finding a grant is to use the NMSU GRID database at http://grid.research.nmsu.edu/login.php. This is updated regularly and is an excellent resource. Other resources include http://www.grants.gov and http://www.nsf.gov to name a few.
2. Develop a grant proposal concept. Fill out the Internal DACC Proposal Award Form, attaching a short project abstract and budget. Viola Silva will work with you regarding the budget.
3. Obtain appropriate signature approvals for grant proposal. Both your department chair and division dean should be on board with the proposal.
4. Submit DACC Proposal Award Form for Executive Team approval. The DACC Proposal Award form, proposed budget and brief summary of grant activity should be submitted to Viola Silva for submittal to the Executive Team for approval. Note: The VPAA office can assist with these forms, but the budget must be reviewed by DACC Grant & Contract Accounting.
5. Complete grant proposal. Once approval from the Executive Team is granted, you can proceed to complete the proposal. Some of these forms may be prepared by Viola Silva.
6. Submit final review to DACC Grant & Contract Accounting. Hand carry or email the final version to Viola Silva in Grant & Contract Accounting. Grant & Contract Accounting will then submit your proposal to the NMSU Office of Grants & Contracts (OGC) for final approval from the Regents of New Mexico State University.
Please note any proposal submitted without going through the proper channels will not be honored by DACC.
NMSU Office of Grants & Contract (OGC) requires seven (7) working days to review the grant. OGC always submits the grant to the funding agency.
NMSU is the signature authority for all grants and contracts.
1. Notification. Normally, the Principal Investigator (PI) along with NMSU Office of Grants & Contracts will be notified whether or not the proposal was awarded.
2. New Index/Fund Request. When the award is received, DACC Grant & Contract Accounting will submit the New Index/Fund Request to get a new index/fund number. This takes about a week for processing. Once the index/fund has been created, our office will notify the PI of the new index/fund number.
3. Monthly expense monitoring. DACC Grant & Contract Accounting will monitor the expenses on a monthly basis. A monthly budget vs expense report, showing encumbrances, will be sent to the PI to allow him/her to review the budget.
Questions regarding whether expenses are allowable should be directed to Viola Silva.
External budget revision requests will be prepared by Viola Silva and submitted to the agency and/or through the NMSU Office of Grants and Contracts.
Your input is very important to us! If you have a suggestion to improve this web page or have a question, please contact Viola Silva at firstname.lastname@example.org.