ABE Mission, Vision & Values
Adult Basic Education Mission
The mission of the Adult Education Division is to provide comprehensive adult education instruction & support services in a learner centered, supportive and collaborative environment to enhance quality of life that leads to life-long learning, civic participation, and personal success.
The vision of the Adult Education Division is to partner with adult learners and communities to support learner achievement and strive toward a more democratic society.
- Learner Success
- Student Services
- Learning Communities
- Life transitions
- Student retention and persistence
- Quality and Leadership
- Commitment to our Mission
- Professional development
- On-going Program Improvement
- Serving needs
- Community partnerships
- Clear communication
- Flexibility and adaptability to change
- Team work
- Program integrity & respect
- Effective instruction
- Student recruitment
- Stakeholder Input
Adult Education Division Performance Goals
Administrative leadership & program management:
- Develop and maintain a comprehensive adult education system throughout Dona Ana County
- Utilize current technology for effective program management.
- Align data collection, reporting requirements and services with the National Reporting Standards, NMHED & DACC policies and procedures.
- Continuous program improvement, desk monitoring and annual performance evaluations
- Monitor and improve data quality
- Effective fiscal accountability
- Hire qualified, experienced and professionally trained personnel.
- Promote communication teamwork and group problem solving
Curriculum and Instructional Leadership
- Offer comprehensive instructional programs that are aligned with NRS standards in the following: General Educational Development-GED® (English/Spanish), English as a Second Language-ESL, Preparation for U.S. Citizenship and Transition to College
- Offer comprehensive instructional programs that meet learner needs to include: personal development, basic literacies; Basic reading and writing, alfabetizacion/lst language literacy en espanol, family literacy, civic participation, basic finance and numeracy, computer literacy, workplace literacy and work readiness
- Assure that the instructional methodology is aligned with current research and driven by best practice (learner centered, emancipatory, project and inquiry based, applicable to adult needs & goals, etc…)
- Target adults in underserved communities and colonias.
- Promote program awareness and access
- Develop instructional programs and support services with stakeholder input
- Conduct community outreach and on-going needs assessment
- Establish and maintain community partnerships
- Establish community based class sites and maintain satellite learning centers.
- Provide comprehensive student support services that include: orientation, learner assessment and placement, advising, goal setting, individual and small group instruction, computer assisted instruction, career assessment, learning accommodations, student success workshops, information and referral services and student advocacy
- Offer comprehensive support for students with a goal to transition to college
- Conduct on-going assessment to identify new student needs
- Implement learner persistence strategies resulting in student goal attainment, learning gains and NRS performance outcomes
- Utilize current technology to support student learning
- Provide free services, manage enrollment, conduct on-going student recruitment, provide quality based customer service and flexible scheduling
- Provide and support on-going professional development and instructional resource libraries for staff and volunteers
- Develop and update the annual AE professional develop plan and allocate funds for the same.
- Conduct new employee orientation for all staff groups
Dona Ana Community College, a non-profit organization, is accredited by the Higher Learning Commission and the New Mexico Higher Education Department. We are an institution of equal access for all persons regardless of race, gender, age, national origin or disability.